Friday, October 29, 2010

Keep a training log, seriously!

Okay. I just wanted to blog about the importance and benefits of keeping a training log.

I personally have kept a training log ever since I started running. I write down my route, distance ran, time taken, my pace, and how I felt that day. It has been so beneficial to keep a record of all of this! Last week I was feeling particularly unmotivated to do anything. I didn't want to go running, I didn't want to go to zumba.. NOTHING. I just wanted to lay down and sleep all day. Plus, I also thought that since I took off so much time from running that I was going to be a slow poke and not be able to make it my normal distance or anything.

Well, I decided to put on my shoes and go. I ran a shortened version of my route and when I got back I felt energized and alive. Then, I looked at my watch and realized it was also one of my fastest times. I went to log this into my book and realized that I was getting faster and faster. All the days I felt negatively about my runs and that I wasn't improving at all and that I was a turtle.. I looked through my log and realized how much progress I have made in just 2 months! I have cut nearly minutes off of some of my routes and I have realized how much my mood has improved right when I get back from a run.

So, if you aren't keeping a log.. You totally should! It is amazing.. especially during those down times where you feel like you're not moving anywhere (literally).

I use the training log I got with my subscription to Runners World but I also use mapmyrun.com to log all of my running based workouts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment