Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back out hitting the pavement!

I finally started running again! I went for my first run on the 7th since breaking my arm at the end of September. It was frightening but exhilarating at the same time. I am so so happy to be back out there where I feel I belong. It really does help to clear my head and give me some focus.

I'm incredibly proud of myself. The only obstacles I am trying to overcome right now are the huge feelings of self consciousness that are making me not want to be out there. I've gained a bit of weight since my injury and I just feel out of shape and like a huge blob slugging along outside. I know this will fade with time but it doesn't help the hurtful things that people say to you as you pass them by. Why people say things like that.. I have no idea. I've never felt the need to insult someone who was working out in public no matter their weight. I was just proud of them for taking care of themselves and their bodies and look forward to my next workout. Sigh.

Other than that I am happy to say I am looking forward to all of my future runs, getting back to my 5k time and distance, and signing up for some races. I am particularly interested in looking for some 5k runs that are raising money for cancer as I have had 2 people in my life this year die from the disease and I'd like to run for them and raise money for the American Cancer Society. If anyone knows of any in the NYC area, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment